Hangbrug, Oudtshoorn

As a child, a highlight of a trip to Oudtshoorn was to walk over the suspension bridge or “hangbrug” in Afrikaans.  So naturally when we visited Oudsthoorn in August 2013, I wanted to walk over the bridge.  


A bit of history about the suspension bridge:
Oudtshoorn developed on both sides of the Grobbelaars River.  In 1913 the town council approved the building of a suspension bridge at Church Street. It was constructed by Rowlay and Sons in London and it was completed in 1914.

The suspension bridge is 91 meters long with 9 meter high towers at each side. It was declared a National Monument in 1964.




H decided to keep his feet on solid ground but I decided to take a walk over the bridge.  The bridge is a lot longer than I remember but it was fun.  The swing of the bridge while walking was fine except for when a few young men decided to run over the bridge past me making the bridge swing. I will think I need to keep with tradition and walk over the bridge with each visit to Oudtshoorn.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daar’s ‘n hoender wat ‘n eier nie kan lê

Dutch Reformed Mother Church, George

Eyewitness Travel Guides – A Book Review